Search This Blog

Saturday, December 25, 2010

By the Manger

"Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us." Luke 2:15


 (Written by Anna J. Lindgren)

Dark the night of sin had settled. To bring Light into that darkness God came to Bethlehem. God! How I have tried to comprehend that fact - tried in vain. I have listened to the voice of God, in the morning of time, as He spoke His creative words, "Let there be," and I have seen worlds flung into space, suns come into existence, the "Milky Way" span the measureless deep, and the countless orbs of light spring forth, at His bidding, and in dazed wonder I have cried out, "God!"

But when I come "even unto Bethlehem" with its lowing oxen, its straw, and its manger, and behold a helpless babe, my soul is too perplexed for words. I hear the angels' glory-song, and as I gaze upwards I catch a glimpse of a radiance that dazzles and a blinding light, and I see that the song that ripples down from heaven is sung by countless millions of adoring angels. What can I bring unto the One to whom all things belong! There is only one gift worthy of giving - that is mine to give - undying love, unbroken allegiance, ceaseless praise.
I want to stand by the manger long enough for all my foolish pride to die, all my vainglory to vanish, and my estimate of values to become adjusted to the humility that is God.


Four points to take from this (the four L's): Love. Life. Light. Looking.
  1. The LOVE of God - God's abundant, overwhelming, and crazy love. [Read John 3:16]
  2. The greatest gift of all - ETERNAL LIFE.
  3. LIGHT of the world - God brought light to a sin-darkened world. [Read John 8:12]
  4. Keep LOOKING to God - Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus. [Hebrews 12:1-2]


As my Dad read the Christmas story this morning (Christ's birth - Luke 2:1-20), he reminded us of the importance of these four L's. God's love is uncompromisable, and the gift of eternal life He gave is the greatest gift to ever be given. God is the light of the world; we are called to be lights in this sin-darkened world. What better time to share the light than Christmas?! And finally, we must continuously seek after God, always looking to Him for guidance, knowledge, and wisdom.

On this Christmas day, be thankful for God's abundant love, the gift of eternal life, the light God has brought to our dark world, and continue to seek God by looking to Him in all areas of your life.


How has God touched your life this Christmas season? Are you continuously looking to God?


Topics Discussed: Christmas Story, Manger, Love, Life Application, Christianity, Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment