Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Champion On and Off the Field

Today is my favorite day of the week--Sunday! The day I worship my God and cheer for my Colts (in that order!).

While sitting at my desk this cold December morning, I was thinking about Indy's season to date (not the best season, by the way), and was suddenly taken back to 2007 when Tony Dungy led the Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl victory over the Chicago Bears. I have always had great respect for Dungy as a person, as a coach, and as a leader. He has always put Christ first in his life--through all of his successes and failures--and that is truly honorable.

Coach Dungy has never been shy about his faith; throughout his entire career in the NFL, he gave credit to his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Dungy was, and is, a winner, a hero, and a leader. He has shown the world that there is more to life than winning football games, making lots of money, or owning fancy things...all through his Godly leadership. I look up to this man.

I, too, believe that there is more to this life than worldly success and worldly treasures. Coach Dungy has inspired me, motivated me, and helped lead me to become a better follower of Christ, and better leader of men.

What makes Tony Dungy such a great leader:
  1. He looks to the Ultimate Leader.
  2. God is always his #1.
  3. He embraces who God made him to be.
  4. He is confident in his faith and practices.
  5. He develops other leaders.
  6. He follows the path God has made for him.
  7. He constantly inspires and motivates others.
  8. He surrounds himself with other Godly leaders.

Coach Dungy shares his faith, his successes and failures, his views on leadership, and more, all in his books/memoirs:
  • The Mentor Leader
  • Uncommon
  • Quiet Strength
I am currently reading "Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices, & Priorities of a Winning Life." This book has really challenged me to evaluate my life, get my priorities straight, and live a life of integrity, meaning, and significance. God made Tony Dungy the head coach of a Super Bowl winning team for a reason. Dungy has touched the lives of millions, and if you are looking for a Christ-centered leader to follow, visit this site: http://www.coachdungy.com/

A champion on and off the field--Tony Dungy--lives a next level life!

Are you a leader? In what ways do you lead others? Who are some leaders you look up to?


Topics Discussed: Leadership, Sports, NFL, Life Application, Faith/Christianity

4 comments:

  1. Inspirational post! I agree that Tony Dungy is a great leader, a man of high character who positively motivates all those who cross his path. We would all do well to follow his example.

    Keep up the great work on your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony Dungy is an excellent example of a leader. He knows what matters and his faith is contagious. I hopped onto your blog from Scott Williams' site. My wife and I lived in OKC for a brief time in 2005. We attended the LC.tv south OKC campus near our house and (after having had a rough church staff position), LC revived our faith. Great to journey together, man. Your blog is inspiring! Keep it up and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments!

    Bryan-thanks for stopping by. Hope you find your way back to my blog from time to time! LC.tv has helped me stay the course, and has allowed me to meet and create lasting relationships with other believers. I am so blessed to be a part of a Church (family) like LifeChurch! Thanks again for your encouragement. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to, brother. Hey, speaking of fantastic books, you should read Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell if you haven't yet. Absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete